Her Option/Essure Schedule
You can expect a large amount of watery vaginal discharge
for 2-3 weeks. The color may vary from clear
to different shades of pink. This is normal.
Please call the office if you have any questions or
I. DAY BEFORE PROCEDURE:
- Ibuprofen 800mg, 1 pill every 6 hours until procedure
- Cytotec (Misoprostel) 200mcg, 1 pill before you go
II. DAY OF PROCEDURE:
- Cytotech (Misoprostel) 200 mcg, 1 pill when you wake
- Ibuprofen 800mg (if procedure is in afternoon) take
on schedule every 6 hours starting 4 hours after procedure.
- Emla Cream, insert contents of tube into vagina two
hours before procedure and place tampon in after cream.
- Bring Valium, Darvocet, and Azithromycin with you.
- Eat a normal meal prior to procedure.
- Have a “comfortably full” bladder on
arrival to the office.
- You will be given Valium, Darvocet, Azithromycin,
and an injection of Toradol (liquid Motrin) one hour
prior to procedure.
III. DAY AFTER PROCEDURE:
- Take Azithromycin 24 hours after procedure.
- Take Ibuprofen 1 every 8 hours for two days.
IV. PHYSICAL ACTIVITY:
- No restrictions on activities.
- May resume using tampons after 2 weeks.
- May resume intercourse or douching after 3 weeks.
V. FOLLOW-UP CARE:
Please call our office if:
- Your temperature is 100.4°F or more.
- You have body aches, fatigue, backache or lower abdominal pain.
- You have bright red, heavy bleeding.
- An unpleasant odor or irritating vaginal discharge.
You can expect a large amount of watery vaginal discharge for 2-3 weeks. The color may vary
from clear to different shades of pink. This is normal.
Please call the office if you have any questions or problems.